Payment Method

Payment Process

A deposit of 25 % of the total price, given in the confirmation, is required. The deposit can be made in US dollar, Euro or Indonesian Rupiah. Please note the reference of the invoice at the time of payment. The remaining balance of the 100% of the total price shall be paid 45 days prior to arrival date. The total price of the trip shall be paid 45 days prior to arrival.

If the Customer does not pay the deposit in time, the Operator is entitled to terminate the contract without notice or to refuse carrying out the travel services. If documents are required, the Customer will receive these after the full price is paid.

For the payment methods, the Operator accepts payments either via bank transfer or PayPal (or credit card through PayPal). The bank transfer is the only method accepted for tour operators, travel agencies or institution doing business agreement with Bali Tour Desk.

Security of Payment Process

Except through bank transfer, the payment is fully processed on PayPal secured page. During the payment process, the Customer will never share its credit card information with the Operator.

Credit Card

If the Customer does not want to use a PayPal account for the payment, he or she has the possibility to fill its credit card information on PayPal payment page without creating a PayPal account. In this way, the Operator accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express and other bank cards.

Currencies

The invoices are priced in USD but the Operator accepts payments in all major currencies. During the payment process, PayPal will automatically convert the price into USD. The Customer does not need to open a USD bank account.

As the exchange rate can vary every minute, the price will be adjusted depending on the USD rate at the time of booking.

Deposit

A deposit corresponding to 25% of the total price must be paid at the time of booking and the remaining 75% must be balanced 2 months (60 days) before the arrival date by the Customer. Deposits are not refundable in the case of cancellation from the Customer without notice and/ or 45 days and less prior to arrival date. The deposit made by the Customer acts as a contract between the Customer and the Operator.